Friday, August 24, 2012

History


Oh when the times of old
Slip past the boundary of our minds,
We think about our history.
The history of all man kind.

To conquer our fears,
And visit our triumphs.
To remember our friends
And foes.
To revisit those battlefields
Now,
Slightly mowed over
Of being in no-man's land once more.

The low rumble of the canons
As the balls fly through the sky.
The men scatter,
Both the Blue and the Grey.
Then as I listen further,
Musket shots fill the air,
And as I got up to that crest
I feel one pierce my ear.

History is said to repeat itself,
But, this war that I am talking
About, my friend,
Is fought by boys not men.

So as I look at the mangled 
Bodies I see
Laying where they died,
Their sightless eyes 
Tell me their tale
Of those who have lived and died.

So, as you can see
History is something to be reverred,
Retold,
Or it is damned to be repeated.

-Jessica A (Clements) Navarro (8/23/12)

No comments:

Post a Comment